This post may contain affiliate links from the companies mentioned in this post. Clicking or purchasing through these links will add no additional cost to you and I never promote products I don't personally know, use and trust! Check out my full disclosure at https://www.flipflopweekend.com/privacy-policy
Whoa! I received my first blog award! That is super cool.
I started FlipFlopWeekend in May as a way to use my writing background, stay up to date in the areas of social media and web design…and, most importantly, to share my love of food, Florida and family with all of you! To be recognized by other bloggers is a pretty awesome cherry on top.
I was nominated by Yuyu over at TypeEighty, who was given the award, liked what he saw on FFW, and passed it on to me. TypeEighty focuses on sharing tips, products and ideas on how to work smarter, not harder at home and in business. Thanks, Yuyu!
While working on this post, I also received ANOTHER nomination from Annati who manages DisneyAdulting.com Say What!? So cool!
Anati does a fantastic job of creating content to help adults enjoy the Happiest Place on Earth. It really isn’t just for kids! Nate and I love Disney date nights and DisneyAdulting.com is a fantastic resource.
So, what the heck is the Liebster award?
Essentially, it is an award given to newbie bloggers, by bloggers. It is a great welcome into the blogging community and I am thrilled to be part of it!
In order to officially accept the Liebster award, I have to provide a little FFW background, some random facts about myself and answer some questions that Yuyu asked when he nominated me ( You can check that out here).
The not so random facts are that I grew up in super snowy, Nanook of the North climate aka Erie, Pennsylvania ( Seriously, it has set snow records. Google it.) My husband is also from that frozen tundra area and after attending college in Indiana (also quite cold) and living there for a few years, he got a call from a school in Florida who needed a math and science teacher. On that chilly March day in 2014, he started outside of our window with the dead trees and icicles, said we were going to Disneyworld, and never looked back ( not even at the snow shovel he left ceremoniously on the back porch). In all seriousness, Indiana felt like home and it was incredibly hard to leave. I still miss it. However, Florida has grown on me and I can’t express how nice it is to not have to bundle toddlers up every morning in layers upon layers of insulation.
After living here for a while ( and Mr. L becoming a Disney cast member in the summers), I kept getting asked by friends and family about tips and advice for the area. I always love answering these questions and thought ” what they hey, I have a communication degree. I should just start a blog.” I named it FlipFlopWeekend because we work crazy hard during the week and always maximized the weekends. Plus, in Florida, you can pretty much find a flip-flop for any occasion and I sure try to!
This brings me to my random facts, beginning with:
- I hate socks. Seriously. I can get into cute ones sometimes for an instagram pic…but, really, I just want to be barefoot. Even if I am freezing cold. I am not even sure I know where my socks are. In the off chance I need some…I steal Mr. L’s.
- I am a leftie.
- My biggest pet peeve is when people chew gum and then take it out and stick it to the side of their plates, or under a chair, on a railing, etc. Can we all just agree that this is disgusting? Seriously, throw it away. Gum is not that expensive.
- I am a ridiculous Chicago Cubs fan. The Cubs at Wrigley was my first MLB baseball game when I was much much younger, and they stuck with me. It is the only team and sporting event I get really emotional about. #gocubsgo
- Lumiere and Flounder top my list of my favorite Disney characters. For real, this Lumiere candelabra is going to be mine this year! I have been putting off the purchase, but just can’t any longer.
- I have never met a french fry I didn’t like
- Milkshakes are my coping mechanism in times of stress. Good thing I don’t resort to it extremely often.
- I love to cook and took classes in Culinary Arts for a couple of years just for fun ( and before Mommyhood). Nowadays, cooking is a team effort around here with some nights being more successful than others. (Spoiler alert, you will be able to find some of the successes here on my blog)
- I am extremely afraid of heights, yet will occasionally put myself in stressful situations to say I did ( i.e. heading to the top of the Eiffel Tower or Notre Dame). Please refer to random fact number 7 to guess what usually follows said stressful situation.
- I can’t have a truly magical day at Disney unless a Dole Whip is involved. #truth #sorrymickeyicecreamonastick
Answers for My Nomination
( Sorry to make this post extra long, but I will answer TypeEighty’s questions since Yuyu was the first to nominate me, but I want to answer some of Annati’s, as well 🙂 )
- What is your favorite book or series? I read The Hunger Games not too long ago and I really enjoyed it. I am a part-time grad student on top of being a full-time school counselor, mommy, wife, and blogger. So, when I am reading it is generally high academic, research text. So, when I have an opportunity to read for leisure, I prefer either material that helps me grow in my blogging or professional knowledge, or some fun fiction that really takes my mind to another world.
- When do you find time to blog? Usually super late at night. I am a ridiculous night owl and generally function on 5 hours of sleep or so.
- What do you struggle the most with blogging? Focusing my priorities. I generally have many ideas and tasks going through my mind that it is hard to sit down and think of what I want to get done first in the areas of content creation and social media promotion.
- What would make you give up blogging? Blogging has been a great outlet for me to utilize all of my skills and experience in writing and social media, and turn it into something tangible and cohesive. Plus, it is really fun to do things with my kids and have them looking out for neat photo opportunities and suggest things for the blog. I think if it ever gets to a point that it fails to be enjoyable end edifying to me and my family, then I would walk away.
- What is that one post made by you that you like the most, and why? That’s tough. I try to make every post something that I am proud of, and they all have a story behind them in some way that connects me to the piece. My favorite is probably the post I did on How to Beat The Heat At The Magic Kingdom. It isn’t a post that I would have sat at my desk and thought of to write. It was very organic in its production when I found myself at The Magic Kingdom in August, sweating profusely, and finding every escape to get us out of the heat. I was sitting on the carousel of progress and thought ” We are not the only people trying to stay cool today. I bet vacationers who are not as familiar with this place as I am would appreciate a how-to.”
- If you could have 1 lunch with any famous person of your choice, who would that be and why? Walt Disney. Call me a Diznerd, but it would be cool to sit down with the man behind the Mouse 🙂
- What is the most extreme thing you have ever done? I am not a thrill seeker, so I have never done sky-diving or bungee jumping. I also really don’t have a desire to. But, I absolutely love travel and wish I could do it more. When I was in high school, I had the incredible opportunity to travel to Russian and do missions work in orphanages in the far east. It was incredible. I doubt that is “extreme” by most definitions, but definitely a highlight in my life.
- If you could be any superhero, who would you be and why? Elastigirl from The Incredibles so that I wouldn’t have to rely on my tall husband to get things off the high shelves. Being 5″1 isn’t easy!
- Who is your favorite travel companion? My husband. I love doing life with him and sharing adventures with him. When traveling, we tend to challenge each other to try new experiences, which helps us both grow.
- If there were no limitations (budget, time, etc.) what would the most amazing day at your favorite Disney Park look like? Hands down—the Private VIP Tour capped off with dinner at Victoria and Albert’s.
So that’s my deal! Now, I get the super cool task of nominating some other fellow bloggers and pass on the love! Here are my nominees in no particular order (drumroll, please):
My Aggrandized Life– I am keeping this nomination close to home as Grandi is a fellow Floridian, just a few miles down the road from me. Grandi is a Montessori expert and her blog is an AMAZING resource to all parents for home, family and organization tips.
Salt & Guava– my mouth waters when I check out Julie’s foodie blog. Her photos are stunning and her food looks super delish! She is also a fellow Floridian who mixes her south beach style with Central American and Latin flavors.You definitely need to check it out! #yum
Write Your First Book With Mahlena– If you have ever considered writing a book, but don’t know where to start…head over to Mahlena’s blog for some tips and encouragement. You can even sign up for a free 1-hour strategy session to help you get a boost.
This Joyous Journey – Brianna’s blog is beautifully designed and an amazing spot for inspiration and encouragement. She is open in her writing of personal struggles and how she has chosen to live a joyous and positive life regardless. Her blog is full of tips for healthy living, diet, exercise and emotional well-being. Her blog is fairly new, but it is definitely one to keep an eye on!
Of Petals and Pages– Another up and coming blog for avid readers! Priscilla ( a former Floridian…I sense a pattern here), now lives in New York and blogs about all things books. She channels her love and passion for reading into her blog post book reviews to help YOU know what to pick up next. Definitely, a blog to check out if you are a bookworm!
Blissfully Bubbly– I stumbled on Chelsea’s blog through WordPress Reader and was thrilled that she posted about Disney’s Boardwalk Resort. She posts a bit about everything, which is a style I love. It is honest, true and personal…with the goal of helping others find their bliss. She definitely deserves some kudos!
Rules for Accepting this Award
- Take the time to thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link to their blog
- Write a post to show your award
- Give a brief story how your blog started/give pieces of advice to new blogger
- Answer the questions I posted below in your post 🙂
- Select 5-10 other bloggers you want to give this award to
- Comment on each blog and let them know you have nominated them, provide the link to the post you created
AND FINALLY…here are the questions for my nominees!
- Where was your last vacation and why did you go there?
- If you could be any Disney character, who would you be and why?
- What is your favorite quote, verse or life motto?
- What do you love the most about your blog?
- What is the best thing you have ever eaten in your life?
- What advice would you give to someone who wants to start a blog, but may not know where to start?
- What does your perfect weekend look like?
Special thanks again to TypeEighty and DisneyAdulting for the nod! If you have been nominated by me, I would love to read your post and hear your story.
Drop your link in the comments below.